Great Family Photography Takes Teamwork
Although many of us recognize the value of a great family photo, making it look effortless can be a lot of work and a fair amount of talent. As you lug a suitcase filled with clothing to the family picture photographer's door, you may ask "is this worth it?" Well, just consider that a home filled with family pictures sets a tone of togetherness; at a glance family is reminded of their tribe.
As time passes, professional family portraits can be passed between generations, and let's us see how much we've grown and changed as a family. Choosing the right family portrait studio for your tribe is key in creating the right artful and emotional statement on your walls.
3 Perfect Family Portrait Options to Choose From
Our family photographers know that families don't all fit in the same box. They like choices. With our line-up of custom photography experiences for family portraits we offer not only in studio but on-location options as well.
For family pictures taken at our Sellwood photo studio choose our Original Portraits™ line. We'll focus on taking interactive, imaginative and playful family portrait photography inside as well as outdoors in our natural light outdoor studio.
Your investment starts at $700 for a sitting and starting package.
While our Vignettes™ - Visual Tales of Home and Family takes our family portrait photographers on-location with a photo-documentary approach to your favorite location. Our approach to modern family portraits makes sure your family narrative is told from a new perspective.
An on location session with a starter package begins at $900.
Foto Playground™ is an open air photo booth studio for the DIY crowd. We've crafted a one-of-a-kind, think-outside-the-box, kind of experience for photo booth fans. Set in a professional photography studio - Foto Playground™ is the place for experimental photo play.
Do it yourself photo shoots start at $400 for space and knowledge rental.
Whether you are a regular consumer of professional photography or a newbie...we want you to know that you are in good hands.
Our goal is to take our clients through a fun and memorable family photo shoot. Handing over the finished family portraits to moms, dads, grandparents and loved ones is one of our greatest pleasures.
As a full-service studio we have lots of special ideas and beautiful products that will turn your family's photos into works of art.
Session + Package
STARTING COST ESTIMATOR
With a wide range of pricing among Portland family photographers it’s important to know that at Campbell Salgado Studio your portrait investment goes to supporting local artists with 20+ years of experience, an amazing team of talented and caring people and a gorgeous location that will make you feel at home.
To be photographed with us we have a minimum order of a sitting fee and small package or equivalent.
In Studio Family Session
$700 - sitting fee of $200 (for 6 or fewer people) + small package of $500
$800 - sitting fee of $300 (for 7 or more people) + small package of $500
On Location Family Session
$900 - sitting fee of $400 (for 6 or fewer people) + small package of $500
$1,000 - sitting fee of $500 (for 7 or more people) + small package of $500
Your Package Includes...
A 30 minute planning session in our studio or over the telephone.
- An 80 minute photo shoot in studio with up to 3 backgrounds or 2 hours on location.
- A personalized photo blog post on our site to share with friends and family.
- The following week come back for a multi-media presentation where we set the very best images from your session to music and assist you in creating gorgeous wall art for your home.
- Pick your 4 favorite poses and you'll receive a package that includes 6 retouched prints and web-sized files for sharing online of your chosen 4 favorites.
- Love more? Additional prints, digital files and photo products are available for purchase.
The Logistics of Multi-Generational Portraits are Worth It
Knowing how important generational portraiture is to our clients we take the time to make sure each person shines in the group photo.
Gathering your clan takes time and effort and we promise to make it worth your while. Many families additionally opt for extra groupings including individual families, cousin photos, brothers and sisters, grandparents with grand kids. Virtually any combination you come up with—our family portrait photographer, Kim Campbell, is happy to compose and snap.
In the rainy season we do have limits to how large a group we can accommodate in our family photo studio. Ten people seems to be the largest group we can photograph indoors unless you are game for trying composite family photography for your family portraits. By photographing small family groups within the large family clan we then stitch the photograph back together and Voila! Rather than squishing everyone tightly together we are now able to see more body and spatial dynamics of your family. See sample below,
STITCHED FAMILY PORTRAITS
'PETS WELCOME' at Family Portrait Sessions
We are often asked whether "Sparky" can be included in the family photo. Of course! Working with pets is something we enjoy and know is important to families. After all, they are part of the family - right?
We've found it best for the whole family to focus on Fido once the non-furry family portraits are out of the way. This means that often times we do the people version of the photos first and then add your pet, depending on the portion of the session you want "Sparky" included. Just do us a favor and let us know in advance when bringing in a pet so we can plan the best approach for indoor or outdoor family portraits.
Whether it's a bird, a cat, a dog or a rat we'll make sure they are remembered for all time. Please note, we do have a studio cat – Hazel – so let us know before dropping by with your pet so we can put her away.
Designing the Coolest Family Picture Walls
As families grow so does their picture collection. What to do with professional family photos is a question we are frequently asked. Our suggestion is to build your wall over the years to capture the many milestones of your family. Creating dynamic groupings on stairwells or hallways can be a great starting point. Our dynamic multimedia presentation showcases imaginative and classic wall grouping ideas - designed by your family portraits photographers - on your very own wall or our sample one.
How to Choose a Family Photographer
Professional family photography is an investment of time, love and money. Choosing the right photographer is no small matter. Here are some things to consider when selecting family portraits photographers.
- Experience — How long has the family portrait photographer worked with children and babies? A seasoned photographer should be adept at handling tantrums with playful distractions.
- The Look —Reviewing portfolios is a great way to start the process. Look for images that really sing to you. Do you prefer something formal or casual? Looking at a portfolio will be a great reflection of how the photographer will approach your family.
- The Convenience Factor — Full-service studios like Campbell Salgado will offer printing and framing. Some photographers prefer to hand off the images for you to print. If you are handy with design and framing, DIY production may make sense. But, convenience isn't always a substitute for expertise: you want lasting quality.
- The Experience — Campbell Salgado views your experience as part of our relationship. Visit the photo studio or meet with the photographer to get a feel for the fit. Some family photography studios offer complimentary planning sessions to ensure a successful photo session. By visiting us, you get a chance to relax, which translates to a more natural "you" in front of the camera.
- The Kudos — Ask your friends for recommendations, or whether they've heard of the family photographer you are interested in hiring. Check online reviews and social networking sites for fan pages in your community.